Maybe I'm Amazed

Rules for Living by Tim W. Jackson (and why some people are just plain idiots)

Name:
Location: Radford, Virginia, United States

I'm a guy, just a regular guy, who likes to observe life and occasionally write about those observations. I live in southwest Virginia where I work, live, and try to be a decent citizen.

Wednesday, November 16

Idiot of the Week: Wal-Mart

A new feature for you to look for in this blog will be my Idiot of the Week award. The "idiot" could come in the form of a person, but also could be an organization, a country, or even a multibillion dollar evil corporation -- which brings me to my very first winner: Wal-Mart!

After a group of us (hello Mark, Eliott, Dave, and Taryn) drove to the Christiansburg, Va., library last night to catch a showing of the Robert Greenwald documentary Wal-Mart: The High Price of Low Cost, I came away even more vehemently opposed to this monolithic example of capitalism gone wrong. I must confess, I have entered the evil box known as Wal-Mart twice in the past year, each time looking for specific items that I was having a hard time finding elsewhere, but I pledge here and now to eliminate even twice-yearly trips to this corporation built on greed and power.

Wal-Mart is my Idiot of the Week for its track record of years of abuse and neglect of its workers, the environment, and tax payers. Its record of discrimination of women is appalling and its failure to provide an adequate living wage or health care to employees is disgusting. The Greenwald documentary brings these topics to light by illustrating real stories of former and current Wal-Mart employees and those affected by Wal-Mart coming to their town.

Wal-Mart is a company that has the power to be a great positive force in this country and the world but its greed, instead, has turned the company into my Idiot of the Week. So be careful of the all-out spin that will be spewing forth from Wal-Mart. The company has set up a war room designed to fight the many truths that are coming out against the company and they have millions of dollars to spend on PR -- money that could be spent on providing health care and other benefits for their employees.

So, to you, Wal-Mart, I wish you only the worst.

Do you have news articles or personal stories about Wal-Mart to share? Post your comments!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home