Maybe I'm Amazed

Rules for Living by Tim W. Jackson (and why some people are just plain idiots)

Name:
Location: Radford, Virginia, United States

I'm a guy, just a regular guy, who likes to observe life and occasionally write about those observations. I live in southwest Virginia where I work, live, and try to be a decent citizen.

Wednesday, April 25

Life in Southwest Virginia

Since my last post, a lot has happened and is STILL happening. Everyone has heard about the tragic shootings at Virginia Tech, a campus just 12 miles or so from where I live and work. And working on a university campus, the tragedy at Tech takes on a different meaning.

I communicated with a graduate student at Tech this week who said she had lost nine students from her graduate program plus a professor. I can't imagine what it would be like to lose so many friends and acquaintances at once. And obviously, for the families of all those who died, I know this is a horrific experience. My thoughts go out to all of those who knew someone injured or killed at Tech.

I could talk about the myriad social issues that surround this incident. I could talk about gun control or mental illness or violence in our society, but all that has been discussed ad nauseum of late. So I will move on to other topics.

In the time since I posted last, I've turned another year older and I am on the verge of moving yet again. Not too far this time. Only about eight blocks from where I currently live. I can say, though, that a birthday sandwiched between the Tech tragedy and the stress and financial strain of a move isn't the best timing. But what can you do?

Life is very busy at the moment, but I hope today's hectic pace will lead to good things in the future. And I hope we can get back to a normal life here in southwest Virginia.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home