Maybe I'm Amazed

Rules for Living by Tim W. Jackson (and why some people are just plain idiots)

Name:
Location: Radford, Virginia, United States

I'm a guy, just a regular guy, who likes to observe life and occasionally write about those observations. I live in southwest Virginia where I work, live, and try to be a decent citizen.

Thursday, February 2

I'm Back

After criticism from my adoring fans (OK, so the two people who actually read this) regarding my lack of blogging of late, I decided I needed to take action and get something posted. Because it has been a while, this entry will recap some highlights of the past couple of weeks and perhaps offer a preview of the weekend ahead.

My first rant is about people in professions such as doctors and attorneys (particularly attorneys!) who think their time is so much more precious than ours. My now former attorney stood me up for a couple of phone conferences, ignored two faxes, failed to do the tasks that I asked and generally refused to call me back, which forced me to can him and get someone else. Of course, that required a couple days of having to take time off work in the afternoons to go down and meet with him at his office, which is about an hour away. So far, the new guy is showing more resolve than the former guy, but the jury is still out, so to speak.

Since returning from the trip to Massachusetts in mid-January, I had a fairly tight deadline to turn around a package of writing to my mentor professor for the semester. In addition, I have a tight reading schedule this semester. I finished "Indecision," a novel by Benjamin Kunkel, less than a week ago and have started "The Master" by Colm Toibin. "Indecision" was a good and fairly quick read that was mostly predictable but did have an interesting twist at the end.

Speaking of writing and MFA programs and such, which I sort of was, the entire James Frey incident of the past few weeks has been interesting to watch. No need for me to spend the time blogging about it because Taryn did a great job in her most recent blog entry, so check that out!

As for the weekend, big plans are in the works. Later tonight, Taryn's long-time friend Charles makes his first foray into the depths of the New River Valley of Virginia. While Taryn and Charles get the day off tomorrow, I will be working hard, as usual, but then we will attend a play on the RU campus, "Diversions & Delights," in which the star is a fellow University of Alabama graduate.

Speaking of Bama grads (boy, my transitions are genius, aren't they?) Shaun Alexander and his Seattle Seahawks face Deshea Townsend and his Pittsburgh Steelers on Sunday in the Super Bowl. So whoever wins, a Bama alum will be wearing a Super Bowl ring. Taryn and I will be hosting a Super Bowl shindig on Sunday and I will be rooting for the Seahawks, considering I lived in Seattle for a couple of years and the Seahawks headquarters was probably less than a mile from where I worked in Kirkland. And a little-known fact, Shaun and I both went to Seattle at about the same time. When I got there, I wrote a letter addressed to Shaun and sent it to the Seahawks headquarters. Basically it was a "Hi Shaun, I'm a Bama alum and I've just moved here, too, and I hope we both do well here" kind of letter. Like a paragraph long. Shaun actually called my house on a weekend I was in Canada and left a message. So, yeah, I'll be pulling for the Seahawks.

Also on tap this weekend is a 40th birthday bash for Dr. Theresa Burriss. Should be fun celebrating the big 4-0 with Theresa.

Well, I suppose that should be about all for this entry. Perhaps early next week I can blog about how the weekend actually turned out. Until then ... .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home