Maybe I'm Amazed

Rules for Living by Tim W. Jackson (and why some people are just plain idiots)

Name:
Location: Radford, Virginia, United States

I'm a guy, just a regular guy, who likes to observe life and occasionally write about those observations. I live in southwest Virginia where I work, live, and try to be a decent citizen.

Wednesday, March 22

Hammin' It Up


OK, so in my last blog entry, I mentioned the canned ham I won at the Floyd Country Store last Friday. Just to brag about this gift bestowed upon me from the pork gods, a photo of the popular pork product is right here. Can you believe my luck? In all the drawings I have entered from iPods to vacations to gift certificates, I finally win ... a canned ham. Thanks to the good folks at the Floyd Country store. And if you have any recipes for canned ham, let me know!!

More photos and commentary about the weekend to come.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now I can only recommend that this recipe be tried on a day that the relative humidity doesn't exceed 71%.
I also recommend listening to the Stones' Exile on Main Street, to get you in the mood.

Baked Ham With Rum and Coke Glaze

Makes one 6-8 lb. Butt Half Ham (or in your case one specially won canned ham)and 1 cup of Glaze.
Total Time: 2 hours +

For the Ham--
Bake:
Your winning ham
2-3 cans of Coke (enough to cover the bottom of the pan, but not touch the ham)

For the Glaze--
Reduce; Whisk in:
2 more cans of Coke
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup yeller mustard
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 T. dark rum (like Meyers I guess, but I'd go for Mt. Gay if you can find it)
1 T. dry mustard
Pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 325'.
Place ham on a rack in a roasting pan, with 2 cans of Coke.(Pour the coke out of the cans.) Tent with foil and bake 1 hour. Meanwhile prepare glaze.

Reduce 2 cans of Coke to 1/2 cup over medium-low heat, about 40 minutes (watch carefully to prevent it from over-reducing.) (Frankly, this is when I'd pour myself a rum and coke, and crank up "Sweet Virginia", I'm mean how tedious is this to watch a pot simmer!)Whisk in remaining ingredients and simmer to dissolve.

After baking 1 hour, uncover and begin brushing with glaze every 15 minutes for the next hour. (Check to make sure that there still is some Coke in the bottom of the roasting pan; add more as needed)(You may consider switching to rum and Tonic at this point because your Coke supplies may have run out). Remove the ham once an internal temperature of 110' is reached, or you've run out of patience, seriously, this thing's cooked before you put it in the oven! Allow it to rest for 15 minutes while you run down to the corner store and get you some Dr. Pepper, carve and serve warm (Duh!).

5:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think we should start a club for people who win meat in contest drawings.
I once won a frozen turkey.
Stupid me, I had been hoping for the DVD player...
At least my meat prize didn't have a "gelatinous coating" and "odd bubbles".
You win. I admit defeat and bow down to the meat prize champion.

2:55 PM  
Blogger Blake Fought said...

'Tis a fine looking ham there, Tim.

2:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home